April 23, 2018

Review Category : PNN Daily News

Tuesday, April 24, 2018

** Kentucky EMT/firefighter shot to death; body left at garbage dump

UNITED STATES NEWS

** Kentucky police in Knox County have now confirmed they have opened a murder investigation into the case of an EMT/firefighter found dead Friday morning at a garbage dump. That is the word from Lex18 (April 23) which said a forestry worker found the body of Barbourville resident Michael Sowders around 9:15 a.m. under a pile of garbage at one of the county’s illegal dump sites. Police say he had been shot to death. So far no suspects have been publicly named. WKYT (April 23) said Sowders had previously worked for Whitley County EMS and was a volunteer firefighter in Artemus.

read more

Monday, April 23, 2018

** UK man could get over a decade in Spanish jail for murdering former UK combat medic

SPAIN NEWS

** A UK man could see himself jailed for the next 13 years after being convicted of killing a UK medic turned chef at a Spanish bar on January 16, 2016. That is the word from The Daily Mail (Gerard Couzens/April 21) which said Benjamin Da Costa, 30, stabbed to death Scott Waring on the Costa Blanca. The owner of the bar where the murder took place was also found guilty of attempting to cover up the crime. According to the newspaper, Da Costa used a jagged piece of glass to cut Waring’s jugular and carotid veins after an argument between the two got out of hand. Waring worked for nine years as a combat medic and had served four tours in Northern Ireland. He left a three-year-old daughter behind. Sentencing for Da Costa, meanwhile, is set to take place this week.

read more

Friday, April 20, 2018

** Parole denied for former Nova Scotia paramedic convicted of sexually assaulting three women in his care

CANADA NEWS 

** A former Nova Scotia paramedic, convicted in 2015 of sexually assaulting three women in his care, has been denied parole. That is the word from The Chronicle Herald (Ian Fairclough/April 19) which said James Duncan Keats, 51, was not given release after a judge received several reports from the Parole Board. According to the newspaper, Keats has never openly admitted to the crimes, maintaining his paramedic treatment of the women was misconstrued as sexual in nature. Further revelations indicate Keats has not sought treatment for his deviant behavior and has done nothing to lessen the chance he might re-offend upon release. Along with the Parole Board arguing against the move, halfway houses have also said they do not support a conditional release. Keats was sentenced initially to four years in prison for sexually assaulting the wife of an elderly patient. He then had an additional 30 months added on to his incarceration time after being convicted of fondling two other female patients in the back of the ambulance.

read more